Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alt wedding fashion & makeup = ♥

Wedding season is in full swing now that the weather is beautiful. While some love traditional ivory wedding gowns, the most daring brides opt for colorful dresses in breath-taking styles. In a general sense I realize that themed wedding dresses can be tacky if not executed well. With the right hair, and makeup they can also be totally unforgettable (in a good way!)  I recently did makeup & hair at the colorful wedding of a good friend. These are some of the tips that I found helpful in creating a beautiful wedding day look.

  • Keep your makeup simple. A brightly colored dress plus brightly colored makeup will be too busy, and make you look overdone. 
  • Focus on glowing natural looking skin. Conturing & highlighting will bring light and definition to your face.
  •  Feel free to use shimmery products.....in moderation. A little bit of shimmer on the temples, browbone, and decollage is pretty. Too much on the rest of your face will make you look "shiney" in pictures.
  • Waterproof makeup. Use your favorite waterproof mascara, eyeliner and consider picking up some water resistant Makeup Forever Velvet Matte foundation. Chances are you will either cry or sweat- be prepared!
  • This is a total no-brainer. Do not use any new skin, hair, or body products 5-7 days before your wedding just incase of an allergic reaction (or breakout). Try out your hair and makeup styles at least a week before the wedding.  
  •  Keep your manicure pretty simple. Unless you can exactly match your nails to your dress color you are better off sticking with a traditional french tip. 
  • Pick jewelry and accessories that go with your dress. If you're wearing a celtic themed dress, consider a celtic knot necklace. If you're wearing a gothic dress try a victorian inspired brooch. 



Steampunk dress by KMKostumes on Etsy. This is an example of a perfectly executed themed wedding dress.

A dress like this would be stunning with a bold red lip

This would NOT look good with a bold purple lip ;)

I don't know if I'd be daring enough to wear this Maggie Sottero down the aisle


The pale yellow dress is divine

I hope she didn't wear orange eyeshadow with this

This is beautiful...just be careful what accessories you pick
The dress says wedding while the hair screams PROM


My own friend opted for a Renaissance inspired dress with a gothic flare. She picked the colors emerald, ivory and black- which were absolutely stunning in the botanical garden the wedding took place at. I kept her makeup neutral, but added a pop of spring color with rose colored cheeks and lips. 

I used Benefit Highbeam, Benefit Posy tint & Benetint on cheeks and as a lip stain. I also used Sephora eyeshadow shades Aspen Summit & Colorful duos in the smokey plum shade. I used MAC Mauvette pigment. I used Tokidoki eyeshadow shades Carnivora & Riposino. I used MUFE velvet matte as a concealer. I used Fresh rose sugar lip treatment as a gloss. Lastly I used a jet black Avon eyeliner pencil and Hourglass film noir full spectrum mascara.
I used a volumizing hairspray with a flexible hold to keep curls in place yet still touchable

Hours later at the outdoor reception, hair & makeup held up through hot weather and a dress change :)



♥♥♥



Been to any colorful weddings so far this spring?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God, this is an amazing look :) I love how you blended the colours together, good job :) Television Makeup Artist Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lime green dress is perfect for my Irish themed wedding! where can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the green dress with the flowers where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.